30th – 31st March 2019
About your course
This weekend workshop will explore range of surface qualities that can be achieved in tapestry weaving. Whether it is in the subtle surfaces created by varying the warp setting and weft thickness, or the richness of tufting, knotting, whipping. You will have the opportunity to explore a range of techniques and materials through small woven samples before going on to create your own design inspired by texture in the landscape.
Working in a professional tapestry artist studio you will have access to a range of materials and equipment and will learn to
- Set up a simple frame loom
- Experiment with a range of traditional materials
- Multiple warping/multiple wefts
- Texture techniques: knotting, tufting, whipping, twining
- Working with unusual materials
- Develop a design inspired by the natural world
- Translate designs/images in to tapestry.
- Finishing and presenting your work
Level: Developing weavers and beginners
The course is suitable for beginners and weavers with a little experience of tapestry weaving who wish to explore tapestry technique further. The workshop is structured to provide individual tuition in small groups of 4-6 students.
Weekend Studio Workshops £140
Workshops run from 10am – 4pm. Selection of materials will be provided. Book 2 more workshops/or early booking in full – 10% discount. To book contact me at
e. firstname.lastname@example.org or mob. 07877457332
All workshops are held in my studio at WASPS, Studio 114, Patriothall, Stockbridge, Edinburgh EH3 5AY